Homemade Christmas present... mini magnets

Hi everyone,

It's Sarah here (from Sarah Rhodes Designs Blog) with today's blog post based around using Ultra High Embossing Powder... I strayed off the theme of New Year as I knew exactly what I wanted to create with the Ultra High Embossing Powder... something that I've had on my 'to do list' for ages!

I saw the idea of Pantone chip magnets on Pinterest a while ago but tried it (as they recommended) with a 3D gloss but it didn't work... once the chips had dried, they were fuzzy and slightly blurred. I print from an ink jet printer (as I'm sure most people do) so if the ink gets wet... it does run and this was the problem! I wanted to try the same idea but using Ultra High Embossing Powder as the print out would only be in contact with a light coating of versamark ink and so I didn't think it would bleed... anyway as you can see it worked! :D

Homemade_Pantone_Chip_Magnets





I wanted to make a few sets as I wanted one to keep and two to give away to some of my design friends as part of the Christmas presents! Here are brief instructions on how to make them:




STEP ONE

You can either use actual Pantone chips that you have or like me if you aren't lucky enough to own any Pantone chip books, print out the Pantone chips from this template file here...
(The colours won't be exact to Pantone colours as you can't accurately print Panotne Colours from a standard printer). Choose a high quality print setting so that you end up with a nice vibrant print with no streaks in your print.


STEP TWO

Using double sided tape, attach the thin card to a thicker mount board (ideally with white edges). Cut out the chips. There are guidelines on the print out so if you cut along these lines (but not to the edge of the card) so that you can still use the guidelines to cut from.














STEP THREE

Ink up a few of your chips with clear versamark ink and lay on a white sheet of paper (being careful to only handle the chips by the edges).


STEP FOUR

Pour over the Ultra High Embossing Powder.

STEP FIVE

Pick each of the chips up (handle them only by the edges) and place onto an over tray lines with foil.


STEP SIX

Place the tray in the oven at about 140 Degree's Celsius for 2-3 minutes until the powder melts. Take the tray out of the oven and wait for the chips to cool and then ink up with clear versamark and cover with another layer of Ultra High Embossing Powder and place back into the oven. This will give you a lovely thick and smooth coating.


STEP SIX

Add a magnet to the back. I used these lovely silver circle magnets as they look neat and are very strong. Attach them using hot glue (or another strong glue).



Homemade_Pantone_Chip_Magnets
The finished result... a lovely set of Pantone Chip Magnets. You could also create a similar thing using mini printed polaroid style photo's... template and more photo's will follow when I get onto this.


Here's a list of the Wow products that I used:
Ultra High Embossing Powder

Other products that I used:
Versamark Ink
White Card
Mount Board
Magnets
Hot Glue (or another type of strong glue)
Oven
Printer
Scalpel
Cutting Matt
Metal Ruler
Double Sided Tape




I wonder what else could be made using this technique... we would love for you to share your creations with us on our Wow Embossing Powder Facebook page.

Comments

  1. Lovely idea - may adapt it with paint samples to coordinate with the room.......

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning idea! Texture, depth, magnetic.. what is not to love??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, each project of yours just keeps getting better and better. Absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment